1. Requirements to apply for Step 3: ECFMG certificate for IMGs. To get the ECFMG certificate, you need to complete Step 1, step 2ck and cs as well as complete the verification of your Medical Education Credentials.
2. Can I take Step 3 before joining residency? Yes you can. Few States do not require you to have any USCE (PGY1)
3. Advantages of completing Step 3 early: a)Step 3 is essential to apply for H1b visa.
b) Your application might have edge over others with only step 1 and/or step 2 scores.
4. Is USCE essential before Step 3? If you have USCE, you might be able to answer better. But it is not essential. Many IMGs have got good scores in Step 3 without USCE.
5. How long does it take to process Step 3 application? Approximately 10 days (Might vary from State to state)
6. Should we give the test within the same state where we applied? You can give the test in any Prometric centre within the USA irrespective of the state medical board where you applied. Guess there are few centres outside USA too. Not quite sure.
7. Is Step 3 valid only in the State where we apply/ give the test? What if we got to start the residency in a State other than where we applied / give the test? Your Step 3 result is valid through out USA irrespective of the State where you applied / gave the test.
8. Which State medical board to apply for Step 3? Connecticut board is time-tested by IMGs. Most of the IMGs apply for Step 3 in Connecticut Board. It does not require PGY1. Also they process your application pretty fast.
9. How long does it take to get Step 3 result? Approximately 3-4 weeks.
10. In which website should I apply for Step 3? http://www.fsmb.org/m_usmlestep3.html
Add a Comment